Monday, March 7, 2011

Confidence building

My first lesson in my first practicum was an Art lesson. I took on the responsibility of teaching the elements and principle of design and planned my first lesson. The first element was line and my teacher suggested to use the grade 3 Art folder that contained pitures of different painting and talk about it as an engagement phase with the students. I was nervous because i did not know where to start, what to ask them. Yes i draw well but talking about art to my students. I was nervous my voice cracked my "v" and "w" sounds got mixed up and yes the students noticed.
 Anyways i sat there put the painting up on the white board with magnets and asked them what they see and from there on every students in that classroom spoke and i asked questions and we were on a roll. It came to me not because i knew what questions to ask but how to use their prior knowledge in the context of learnign the new knowledge.

Here is an example:

No comments:

Post a Comment