Monday, March 7, 2011

Language Arts: My experience as a student

 I learned two languages at the same time which were English and Urdu during my early education. Interesting i would bring better marks in english more than Urdu, eventhough we spoke urdu at home and in the classroom. There were more chances of doing well (marks) in reinforcing what we learned, however i always did well in english. Do you thing a dilemma? i think not. Our Instruction for English (Language arts) was very practice based and the predictability of tests was easy as our parents went through the same school system.
We would practice (Singular/Plural) (Spelling/Dictation) (Word/sentesnces) (Passage/questions) (stories/questions) etc. We would practcie at home and the lsit of words would go home before the test and text units would be highlighted for our ease. The exams contained 80% of what we already worked on in the classroom. I also want to say English was a territory where not a lot of teachers wanted to go deep. It is about comfort level. So we learned english grammar and we never spoke in class until my fifth grade which i will talk about later.
I found Urdu hard because the way it was taught. There were very few literature books(texts) with images in early years classroom. It all comprised of the same activites that i have mentioned above with the lack of connections between spoken language and written. I know that Now but then i thought i dont even know my own language. I needed context as a child so i could connect. I had a knack for poetry but what teacher would notice that if she/he had 40 students in a class and no EAs :(
My mom, My Nano, My grade two teacher all helped me in my early years to develop my language skills. They did few things knowingly ( asking me to write a story and dont worry about spellings) and some things unknowingly (reading me a story, and connecting personal stories with them, Singing a poem to my little brother "eating sugar, no mama" with gestures).
I know the importance of expression in every mean possible, for it is there time to be amazing ine verything and they can be with our guidance, little change, a lot of thought and practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment