Monday, March 7, 2011

I as a student

I was broght up mostlty in Pakistan. My elementary education took place mostly by my parents and Miltiary school in different towns. Now i think about it its was a franchise of the same school. I have wonderful memories and some ......lets just say great learning experiences. You love everything and anything growing up as long as you have safety and security. The philosophy of these schools was teacher centered and mainly comprised of direct teaching. i sometimes wonder how i passed my grade 1 final exams as dont seem to remember anything except my parents constant effort to help me memorize poems in English and Urdu ? :)
It makes me laugh to think about the stress my parents had to suffer just so i do well (A grade) in grade 1.
Similar to one of my classrooms-Taken from Child Reach International

I am going to be certified teacher in Manitoba and boy  have i come a long way as an indivdual, a student and a teacher. I=Proud=Happy=Me

My language i believe very much  started at the age of 15 months (i have been told by my parents). I was loved and cared for. I had a lot of company that encouraged me to speak and express my happiness by laughter and dancing and my discomfort in not laughing just focusing on people. Yes i cried very little.

I was three and half years old when i started montessori of 6 hours everyday. My mom was my teacher and she an educational assisstant. I dont remember anything except yelling at the EA :( and my mom getting mad when we got home ...haha. Oh a funny story so on the basis of my misbeahvior my parents had a talk with me. They tried explaining my rudeness and that i need to say sorry to her when i see her the next day. The next moring my dad was getting ready for office anf my mom was making breakfast. My mom asked "Mehru what are you going to say to Mrs Fazila?" Very confidently and lovingly i said "I am going to say thank you."

Oh boy i got hearing out of that. Imagine my surprise when my mom got upset with me when in my head i said the right thing. In her upsetting manner she repeated what i said and then i realised oh wait i ll say sorry. My mom thought i was being a smart *** child.

I ,as almost a four year old had a connection between the words sorry and thank you. In my head i knew these two words are used in special circumstances. Mostly a person would  say thank you to people in a loving manner hence i confused them. I promise i meant the gesture, i just said wrong word maybe because in the past i was forced to say thank you ;)

After two fantatsic years or learning and teaching, i am able to undertsand my process of learning. Which  helps me to teach my students. I recognize and learned the importance of communication in education, for education and i cannot teach without basic skill of knowing language and literacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment